- Patients & Families
- Providers & Professionals
- Who We Are
- Regional Extension Center
- Health Info Exchange
In working with the Vermont Department of Health VITL has developed HL7 interface connectivity with the Vermont Immunization Registry. The submission of immunizations using HL7 to the Vermont Immunization Registry via the Vermont Health Information Exchange went live on 2/14/13. This interface will enable physician practices and hospitals with electronic health records systems to submit data to the Vermont Immunization Registry directly from the EHR system via the interface.
The benefits of submitting data to the Vermont Immunization Registry via an interface include:
- Reduced data entry
- Improved data accuracy
- Faster data delivery
- Fulfill data reporting requirements
- Improved patient care
For information about Public Health Meaningful Use requirements in Vermont, please refer to: http://healthvermont.gov/hc/meaningful_use.aspx
See vendor statuses below. If you would like to request an interface or have questions about your vendor's status, please submit a request at www.myvitl.net.
Current immunization project status (last updated 12/31/13):
Requirements: The immunization interface project requires that you have the following:
- An EHR capable of connecting with VITL and transmitting messages
- Immunization (VXU) interface v. 2.5.1 with your EHR
- A VITL Services and Participation Agreement (VHIE SA Agreement)
Readiness by vendor:
Allscripts: If you are an Allscripts customer, you must upgrade to the version of Allscripts Enterprise or Professional that supports a connection to the Allscripts immunization hub in order to be eligible to start this project. If you are not sure if you are on the right version, you should talk to your vendor.VITL is currently working with Allscripts on connectivity between the hub and Medicity (dates are TBD as some development is required by Medicity and/or Allscripts).
- Allscripts Enterprise- Version 11.2 or greater supports an immunization hub connection
- Allscripts Professional - Version 9.3 or greater supports an immunization hub connection
- Allscripts MyWay- VITL has been notified that this product will not support the connection of an immunization interface.
Athenahealth: We are in the process of connecting the first site and will consider more sites once this site has gone live.
Cerner: Cerner and VITL have begun immunization project work for some hospital and practice sites. Additional sites will be considered once those sites are live.
CPSI: CPSI and VITL have begun immunization project work for some sites. Additional sites will be considered once those sites are live.
eClinicalWorks: eClinicalWorks and VITL have begun immunization work for a pilot practice. Additional practices will be considered by VITL once that pilot site is live.eClinicalWorks is planning to use an immunization hub model.
GE Centricity: GE Centricity does not currently support the HL7 version (2.5.1) required by the Vermont Immunization Registry. VITL encourages GE Centricity practices to contact their vendor to determine when the required HL7 version support will be available.
Greenway: Some Greenway practices are live with HL7 immunization messaging with VITL. VITL is working with Greenway to roll out additional interfaces.
Medent: Medent and VITL have begun immunization project work for some sites. Additional sites will be considered once those sites are live.
Physician’s Computer Company (PCC): Two pilot practices are live. VITL is working with PCC to roll out additional interfaces.
McKesson Practice Partner: Initial analysis work has begun. Practices will be considered once the vendor is ready.
Not listed: VITL has not yet engaged with your vendor or your vendor does not yet support HL7 messaging for immunizations. Please refer your vendor to the technical specifications links below. If you believe there is a discrepancy listed on your vendors readiness/capabilities please notify us - MyVITL.
No new incentives are available at this time. The cost of EHR interfaces can be reimbursed with pre-approval by VITL.
- Technical specifications:Please refer to our specifications site for all currently available VITL interface specifications.
- Historical immunizations: Historical immunizations can be accepted as long as your vendor can send them. Vendor capabilities for loading historical immunizations and logistics of switching over from a monthly batch file will be discussed with your vendor when VITL initiates an immunization project with your site.
- Loading data from the Registry into your EHR: The Immunization Registry can provide batch files for one time historical loads into your EHR. This info generally only includes immunizations performed at your practice. We expect to be able to support this in an automated fashion in the future (AKA "bi-directional"), but no timelines have been committed yet.
- State of Vermont
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Validations – Reviewing accuracy of patient’s addresses for city/state/zip
- Click the Cities by ZIP Code tab
- Only use the preferred or other acceptable cities
- AVOID using any others
- Code Sets: