Network security is of utmost importance to VITL. The Vermont Health Information Exchange (VHIE) is a cloud-based application and database that is hosted by VITL's software vendor in a secure datacenter facility. The following measures are in place to ensure the security of the VHIE:
- The vendor datacenters are SSAE-16 certified, a best practice in healthcare which exceeds HIPAA standards
- Vendor maintains a geographically dispersed, fail-over copy of the the VHIE data.
- The network is monitored 24/7.
- Patient information is not comingled, rather it is stored in separate, virtual data vaults by provider organization.
- All data in transit across the network is encrypted.
VITL has been assessed for FIPS 200 compliance for all of its IT Infrastructure.
Please use the Contact Us
form if you have any questions about the security of the Vermont Health Information Exchange.